Friday, April 25, 2008

And then there was one...

I've heard this before, "We love your work and we're considering you for this big, cool shoot. Can you estimate it for us?"

When Chris Peters, Art Buyer at Colle+McVoy in Minneapolis, called me in March and said something to that effect, I was flattered. It's always nice to know some people actually look at and appreciate your work. The first of these types of calls came in the winter of 2006, when there was a particular job in Tasmania with a particular agency in Portland. "It'll be huge," I thought, as I mentally booked my trip to Tasmania, scoured the internet for production resources, even went so far as to ask my doctor brother Pat if I should consider anything specific for a job there. "We're deciding Monday" turned into "It'll be early next month" turned into simply not hearing back until two months later, saying the job had been canceled outright.

Of course, I learned not to get my hopes up for these types of things. Work hard and fast to get them what they want, but don't hold your breath. Not that I wouldn't take it or didn't think it would ever happen. It's just that it's a numbers game. You can't get every single one, so don't waste energy thinking you will. Of course, I'm sure there are a few Tiger Woods of photography that do, but I'm not there yet.

Back to Chris. I showed him my work while on a shoot in Minneapolis last April. We talked for awhile and he mentioned a couple people he knew that used to live in Sausalito. Small world. Show the work and get some face time, don't embarrass yourself, and out the door. Chris was much more gracious than that, of course. With varying degrees, I've managed to get along quite well with many of the creatives I've met with. Of course, you don't get the job because you're a nice guy, but it doesn't hurt.

The lesson learned above, though, can be applied to most meetings as well. "I like the work. Let's hope the right job comes along," could be code for "Thanks for wasting my time, that's 20 minutes I'll never get back." Although pessimistic, the point is that I never let my hopes get too high, or too low for that matter, after meetings like that. I hope for the best, but realize there are way more variables than I can even fathom to worry about it. I did what I could. Next.

No comments: